Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Banff!

Finally! After a very long break I have returned to the blogosphere!

I apologize for my long absence so to give penance and to show my remorse I am going to attempt to put up new posts more regularly.

So here goes!

I am in Banff right now. Sitting in a lovely room with my dear friend Laura from Carleton and new friend Celina. How did I get here you may ask WELL have I got an answer for you!

I finally got back from Carleton about a week or so ago... after driving from Ottawa to Fredericton to Moncton to Halifax and back to Fredericton my father and I finally left for home heading through the U S of A! Making it home in 4 days (from Halifax to Calgary). Full details on that trip to come in a later post at an early hour.

So after being home for a while, seeing some of my old Calgarian friends and hanging out with the family my friend Laura from Barrie, ON (a place my matriarcal side has some roots apparently) came with Celina, her friend from church. They were headed on a road trip.  Destination: British Colombia. Being the lovely folks they are, they came to Calgary yesterday to pick me up. I gave them a brief tour of Calgary, mainly the places near Lakeview. After a quick breakfast in the morning they made some room for me in the already fit to burst car (a sexy black Honda Fit, by the name of Kevin) and we hit the road.

As Laura and Celina are not prairie girls they were keen to leave the flat lands behind and head toward the mountains. And as they never fail to do - the mountains did not disappoint! They always will be the epitome of beauty in nature and nothing can compare. So picturesque and awe-inspiring. The mountain peaked gilded with snow, sometimes masked behind mist, always different yet unchanging - these are the Rocky Mountains - there are no words that can properly describe.

We spent the day in Banff doing the touristy things - we stopped in all the little shops, got coffee, took lots of photos, bought souvenirs, went to Hot Springs, got lost, saw the Banff Springs Hotel, etc. Good times.

It was a most enjoyable day. In my travels so far with my two new companions I realize that I have a lot to learn to fit in. Including learning the dances to Burning Up (danced on the side of a road) and a cheesy Christian song, I also have to learn the meaning behind some inside jokes and get used to their ways! But no complaints here - I am a very happy third wheel rolling towards Victoria and the rest of BC (beware folks, I may use some bad puns!).

Anyways, from what I have seen here Banff is lovely as are the people. Which includes a rather large number of Australians and and amazing banjo players! I would recommend to anyone coming here just for the experience - which is like none other.

Thats all for now! So from the Irving Inn (I think) in Banff, Alberta, Canada - good night and good luck.

More to come from this adventure!

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment