Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Merrit!

Greetings from beautiful British Columbia!

We have made it safely through the Rocky Mountains. I miss them already! As we were driving (I was in the crammed back the whole time - for some reason it made me hungry), I was trying to figure how in my entire life I can live in the mountains. Salmon Arm, as I discovered today, would be particularly perfect! I was thinking if journalism was the right career path for me or how I could manage living there and my budding writing career.

I also came up with a book idea today while staring out the window. Its nothing special but possibly a summer project for me. More on summer plans later. Also seniors volunteering with them is also in the plan.

So today, sadly we left Banff, checked out of Irwin's Mountain Inn and packed Kevin. We are getting pretty pro at packing - its amazing what we fit in that Honda Fit - almost everything surprisingly - enough stuff for three girls to survive with for two weeks to a month in fact.

By the way I am watching Modern Family while writing this - what a fantastic show. So sorry if this becomes disjointed.

Anyways, we drove and drove and drove through the mountains. There was lots of construction on the road today and Laura and Celina being Laura and Celina from Ontario honked and gave all the workers a friendly wave. I joined in and laughed it reminded me of when we rode the bus home from elementary school. We would sit in the very back seats, where the windows were, and would wave at the people driving behind us and the ones that would wave back were sweet and the ones that were rude (giving the finger and etc.) were salty. Good times. Come to think of it I used to do that in Junior High as well, I would go on a pedestrian bridge over Crowchild Trail and wave - I loved getting the trucker honks.

We got some trucker honks today (and yesterday) in performing a Laura and Celina cross-Canada tradition, which is parking Kevin on the side of the highway, blasting some 'happening tunes and dancing around the car (doors open). For some songs there is a routine, at first I would try and copy their moves (which are coordinated to a Jo Bro song) but now I just do my own thing, I don't think that I am as into it as they are, but its still fun. Also, most of their dancing songs are ones that I don't know so that doesn't help. Hopefully tomorrow we can listen to some of my music (I made an amazing playlist in some of my spare time) and maybe I can sit in the front. I really don't mind the back, its a great place for brainstorming.

Today, I got to go through the highway tunnels, my old friends from childhood. I just love the darkness and coming out the other side. We always used to yell "DUCK" and duck down the whole time we were in them.

Anyways, after finally finding a city and motel in Canada's Country Music Capital we settled. Made some excellent Slopply Joes on our finally working stove and went for a drive with Laura.

Sorry for the quick ending but all the lights are turning out, its late and therefore its time for bed.

Good night and good luck.

(I really need an excellent sign off phrase instead of stealing from my hero Eddie boy, any suggestions?)

More to come from this adventure!

Happy reading! And night night from Merrit!

No comments:

Post a Comment